Sunday, August 7, 2022

She Stitches Seashells by the Seashore


Pattern:
Seashell Scrubbie by Aoibhe Ní (link to pattern on YarnTowers.com)

Started: September 28, 2021

Finished: June 28, 2022; ends woven in and ribbons tied round sets: finished August 7, 2022

Made for: gifts; might keep a set for myself

Yarn: Bernat Handicrafter (100% cotton; 573 yds/524m = 340g)
  • 320g of "Anchors Away Ombre" (started with 320g; ended with 0g; about 8") = 539.3 yds
Hook size: 5.5mm/US 9-I

Notes & Photos:
Sept 28: After making the first set for the Quidditch match, I was left with a rather large ball of cotton yarn. I figured out I can make 9 more 4 cloth sets (10 including the one here; within-blog link) which I can use for little aside gifts for any ladies I know. I'm specifically thinking K and our shared-wall neighbor; I'm sure I'll think of others. Since they work up quickly and don't required too much concentration I'm confident I'll have them done sometime in Oct or Nov. No real deadline. I can get some ribbon next time we're at Wallyworld to bundle them together.

Oct 1: I made a cloth the other day (Wed?) and 3 tonight during a not-great preseason hockey game. That's 1 set down and 8 to go!

Oct 19: Decided to declare this as my Wandlore: Cores project. My declaration is here: 🐚🐚🐚 

Oct 22: Made 2 more scrubbies while watching ST:TNG reruns. Will take this project with me for my appointment later this morning. I need something to calm my nerves before I get test results. So many nerves right now...

later (2:56pm): Completed one at home before I left for my appointment, then a whole one and nearly a second whole waiting at the hospital for my appointment; I was called in 38 minutes past the time of my appointment. It takes me about 40-45 minutes to make one cloth. Here's the pre-appointment progress:
Two finished cloths and one with the hook in place to finish working the edging round.

With the two made before bed, I have another full set done :) That makes 2 sets for this project; 3 including the set made for Quidditch :) Yay for progress!

Oct 25: Here's a photo of what I have completed so far:
2 sets of 4 cloths each tied with aqua ribbon and 2 separate cloths.

Nov 9: Not a lot of progress on these. Will have to catch up a bit!
An in progress scrubbie next to 2 finished ones and 2 bundles of 4 scrubbies tied with ribbons behind them.

Nov 11 (3:44am): Made up for my lack of progress over here tonight - finished the one in the photo above plus made 4 more! A full set done and 1 cloth shy of a second set done this week :) That will give me 4 sets (5 counting the set from before) and nearly halfway through this project :) Woot!

Nov 15: Finished the scrubbie needed to make up the 4th set :) Need to alternate a bit more between these and Sil's blankie to get everything done on time. My current progress photo:
4 scrubbies, slightly overlapping each other on the left, next to 3 bundled sets tied with aqua ribbons.

Nov 21: Another set done :) That's 5/9. Woot! These are coming along great. And with medical stuff this week, this is probably my most easily portable project.
4 seashell shaped cloths next to a fat crochet hook and a small pair of scissors with orange handles.

Dec 25: The 5 sets I had finished have been gifted so I'm sitting here with a lemon-lime vodka soda drink and am just finishing the first cloth of set number 6. (It's 2:27am; we're still up having stayed up to open our presents lol)

Jan 30/22: Oops. Took a little holiday from these. Or rather from recording them. I had two more finished and one on my hook when I opened the project bag today. That's 6 sets nearly done :) 
3 shells laid overlapping on the right and one with the crochet hook attached being held to the left and above them.

Let's see what I can get done today!

Feb 1/22: 5 completed before I turned to other projects :) 6 of 9 sets finished, and 1/4 of the 7th (Yes, ends need finishing; that's for later)
5 seashell shaped Tunisian crochet cloths.

April 7/22: Taking stock of projects today and where they're at. This should be easy to get back on track and finished. Less than 3 sets left. 

April 12/22: Just made one more scrubbie. This brings me to 6.5 sets finished.
A lone shell shaped scrubbie with its last stitch still on the crochet hook.

June 21/22: 4 more done so far today. Humidity was awful today so I opted for the cotton small project instead of one of the others

later: Make that 5 :) Bringing me to 7 3/4 sets

June 26/22: This is what a stack of 16 scrubbies looks like lol:

That's 4 sets done on top of the 4 I did before December; 8 of the approximately 9 sets I figured I'd be able to make. (Not counting the set I made for a Quidditch match last fall) This project is nearing completion 😊

June 28/22: And done! Well there are ends to be woven in. I finished off the entire ball with only 8" left!! I made (not including the 4 made for the Quidditch match) a total of 37 scrubbies = 9 sets plus 1. And the last one I cheated the edges of by doing slipped sts around instead of sc. Here's the "mini" scrubbie next to a "regular" one:

So once I have the ends woven in and the ribbons around the sets, I can submit this for another finished Class 😊 

August 7/22: Finally got around to weaving in the ends and adding the ribbons 😊 Finished photo of the last 5 sets (and the single mini shell) is added to the top of the page

No comments:

Post a Comment