Monday, June 5, 2023

There's Something Strange, in the Neighborhood

Pattern: Who Ya Gonna Shawl? mkal by Lyrical Knits (Link to pattern page in Lyrical Knits' Payhip shop🔗)

Start: February 24, 2023

Finish:

Made for: Dana... Kidding, it's for Síle aka Me as my birthday present to myself. Turning 45 has to have some perks!

Yarn: West Yorkshire Spinners Signature 4ply (40% wool, 35% Bluefaced Leister, 25% nylon; 437yds/400m = 100g)
  • __g of "333 Blue raspberry" (C1)(start wght: ???g; end wght: ??g) = ???yds
  • __g of "325 Cornflower" (C2)(start wght: ???g; end wght: ??g) = ???yds
  • __g of "365 Blueberry bonbon" (C3)(start wght: ???g; end wght: ??g) = ???yds
  • __g of "11 Marshmallow" (CC)(start wght: ???g; end wght: ??g) = ???yds
Total yards: 

Needle size: 3.75mm x2 

Notes & Photos:
January 25: Bought the pattern this morning 😊 I honestly wanted to get in on 'The Knights Who Say Knit' & 'As You Wish', previous mkals by Lyrical Knits (aka Mary Annarella), but couldn't justify the spends for the yarn. I'm turning 45 in a few weeks damn it! I'm splurging on a pattern and 4 hanks of pretty yarn to make it with to celebrate Me 🎉 And with a doctor's appointment in Town on Tuesday morning, I can shop in person at Wool Trends for my yarn 🧶 Squeeeee!! Yarn shopping!!!! 

Ok, so I'm just gonna copy over a few details from the Planning Sheet I received after buying the pattern:
4 full skeins of 4 different colors ("C1, C2, C3, and the CC") of fingering weight that play nicely with each other.  Any of them can be slightly speckled, but I wouldn't recommend it be much busier than that.  • Each skein needs to have 400 ysd or more to make sure that you have enough yarn for the project.  The 400 yds includes some wiggle room. • The shawl will include (non-stranded ) colorwork, but not all the colors need to contrast with all the others.  Instead, only ONE of the colors, the CC, needs to contrast with the rest. • “CC” is the Contrasting Colorway (might even give it the name Slimer). • CC needs to contrast with C1, C2, and C3 since it will be used in colorwork with each of these 3 colors individually. • C1, C2, and C3 don’t have to have much contrast with each other—they much only contrast individually with the CC. • C1, C2, and C3 can be in a gradient (or not) but they should harmonize with each other since they will still be right next to each other in the shawl. 
And I need 2 circular needles in the same size (24inch min), plus 3 st markers (one locking).

Oh! The clue schedule!:

There will be **6 clues** for the mkal:
Clue 1 drops on Feb 24th (first thing in the am EDT), with clues 2-6 releasing on March 3rd, March 10th, March 16th, March 24th, and March 31st.

So now I just need to get into Town and go yarn shopping. Such a hardship ;)

January 31: Got my yarn today! I'm madly in love with my color choices. These are very Síle colors: a blue-green, a purpley-blue, and a green-blue with a cream as the Contrast Color (aka Slimer). The cream is called "Marshmallow" so shades of the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man anyone? lol I've listed the colors in order: C1, C2, C3, and CC.

Now I "just" need to have patience for Clue 1 drop on the 24th!


February 23: I have my needles ready and I've found the ends in all of my yarn skeins :) All set for Clue 1 dropping in the morning!

February 24 (10:03am NST): Clue 1 has arrived! And it starts with C1, Blue raspberry. Time to cast on!


(10:28am NST): The set-up is done:

(11:38am NST): Finished Venkman's Not QuiteWavy Lines :)

The next section uses colors C3 and CC. Yay! First use of Blueberry Bonbon and Marshmallow! Mmm, marshmallow...wait wrong franchise!

(2:08pm NST): And that does it for There Is Only Dana (ie chart 2):

And we're sticking with C3 and CC for the next bit too. Cool, let's do this!

(7:25pm NST): After a few round the house tasks, I was able to sit down and get "I'll take that as a big yes" done:

One more section to go! Well, for this week. I need C2 and CC for this part; Cornflower is introduced 😊

February 25 (8:40pm NST): Finished Full Torso Apparition 😊 And that's it for Clue 1! Final photo:

I really like the lacy bit in the final chart for this week. Can't wait for Friday and Clue 2!

March 7 (12:34am NST): I have casted on and knit the set-up for Clue 2 with C1! 

Onto the first section, Winston's Tell Him About the Twinkie 👻

(2:12am NST): Finished Winston's Tell Him About the Twinkie 😊

I'm pretty certain section 1 of both clues are identical. Which is cool. I know the next section, He Slimed Me!, is unique to Clue 2. It uses C3 and CC. I think I'll leave that until daylight though 🥱

March 8 (2:49am NST): Didn't have a spare moment until after the hockey game so I've only just finished He Slimed Me 👻

I've Quit Better Shawls Than This! is the title of section 3, and uses C3 & CC again. But I need to quit for the night 😉

March 16 (3:50pm NDT): Getting caught up today. Almost finished with I've Quit Better Shawls Than This! 😊

(5:51pm NDT): And done! 



Onto We Came, We Saw, We Kicked Its ** with C2.

March 17 (4:42am NDT): Finished We Came, We Saw, We Kicked Its ** 😊 And that finishes off Clue 2!

I can't wait to start Clue 3 after I get some sleep 😊

(9:36pm NDT): Time to get Clue 3 on the go! We're starting with C1, and continuing from where Clue 2 stopped. No triangle this time. Hmmm...

(10:09pm NDT): Set-up done and onto Marshmallow Goo! 😊 Staying with C1; here we go...

March 25 (1:14am NDT): Finished Marshmallow Goo 😊



Onto Okay, Who Brought the Dog? with C3 & CC...

March 27 (3:16am NDT): Finished Okay, Who Brought the Dog? 😊



I'll tackle Take The Stairs when daylight returns...

April 14 (11:24am NDT): So much for catching up! Am at day 15 of a tendinitis (multiple injuries to the same rotator cuff) flare *sigh* Soooooo bored!

May 31 (12:49pm NDT): Finally finished Take The Stairs 😊 Still having issues with numb fingers (pinkie and ring on left hand) but I can knit again. Ugh. 2 months lost. Any way here's Take The Stairs:

On to The Gatekeeper using CC and C1! Last chart for Clue 3!

(11:23pm NDT): And that's The Gatekeeper done:


And that means Clue 3 is done!

Onto Clue 4 soon, which starts with C3 and a short row, and then goes into Ecto 1 (chart). Fun!

June 5 (8:34pm NDT): Been distracted the last couple days but tonight I'm starting Clue 4. I have my C3 ready, and am starting with a short row and then onto Ecto 1; let's do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment