Sunday, May 14, 2023

Swatch 1

Pattern: none, this is a swatch that I want to document because it might become something

Yarn: Briggs & Little Tuffy

Needles: 6.0mm/ US 10

Notes & photos:
I'm toying with an idea. It involves cables, log cabin style block(s), and garter st. I'm working with wildly mismatched yarn and needles because that's what was closest to my hands when I had to try this. I forsee this done in two colors eventually but for now I'm sticking with one just for ease and not having to move around too much.

I cast-on 12 sts, and have knit 12 ridges; a square.

Next I cast-on (note: I'm using cable cast-on throughout for this demo) 12 sts, and started working a perpendicular strip that is joined to the square at the end of each RS row. I'm also working a cable panel in the middle of this strip. 

So this is the result of the above:

That's what I was expecting from that notion :) Now to continue. First I need to work a set up row:
I worked across the 12 sts as established and then, PUK 12 sts (1 from each garter ridge):

My first observation is that the cast-on hangs down below so either I'll need to knit one less ridge (11) OR start with a provisional cast-on for the garter square. I'm also questioning the ridge. In one color it's not jarring but if I were using two I think it would be. Lesson learned: I can either purl those sts OR forget the PUK and work directly into the ridges when joining. I favor the 2nd option, so I'm going to pullout those two rows just knit. Perhaps I can use a spare needle to PU the ridge edges just so they're clear? Probably not needed but definitely a tip to keep in mind if this goes onto the patt stage

Alright. I frogged back those 2 rows and also CO 12 sts. Now, do I use the same cable panel or should I change it up? Originally I thought to alternate between 2 but now I'm thinking to keep the same one instead. For now I'll use the same one; it's easy enough to swap another in later on. No sense complicating things, is there? Lol As if I don't complicate things on the regular!

Ok, so I've joined all the cable panel sts to the new cable and there's some pretty obvious distortion going on:

That upper left corner is extremely wonky :( I'm going to finish this section and see what it looks like, but I may have to go back to the drawing board on this idea...

Ok, done that side and oh boy is there issues!

My guess for the oddness at the top left is cable splay. The solution would be to work a couple of the cable sts together in the last row. I'm sure you're noticing the odd triangular bit at the top left of the garter square. It almost looks like I added in sts??? I didn't but that's what it looks like. I'm not sure what the issue is, so I'm afraid a solution isn't possible. There is some slight splaying of the garter st square on the left side. This is because of the difference in row gauge in garter st vs stockinette. Solution: instead of garter st use a st pattern that has purls in it. My first thought is Moss st (Double Moss for those more familiar with the UK terminology); you get the very clear vertical lines the same way you do with stockinette /cables.

Ok, I've learned quite a bit from this little swatch :) I can frog it now and have a good idea where to go next. 

What is my idea? You'll see. Maybe 

No comments:

Post a Comment