Monday, June 12, 2023

Rainbow Granny Hug

A primary color wheel showing the relationships between primary, secondary, and tertiary colors, as well as complimentary colors.

Pattern: a one-off from my own head incorporating Heather Anderson's Half Square Triangle Granny 🔗 (Link goes to her blog, The Unraveled Mitten, which has a photo tutorial for this technique)

Started: June 9, 2022

Finished: June 12, 2023

Made for: Síle aka Me

Yarn: Bernat Premium (100% acrylic; 360yds/329m = 198g)
  • 22 g of "58940 Black" (started with 207g; ended with 185g) = 40 yds
  • 18 g of "58507 Red" (started with 201g; ended with 183g) = 32.73 yds
  • 21 g of "58510 Orange" (started with 204g; ended with 183g) = 38.18 yds
  • 19 g of "58555 Yellow Balloon" (started with 191g; ended with 172g) = 34.55 yds
  • 17 g of "58584 Tropical Turquoise" (started with 202g; ended with 185g) = 30.91 yds
  • 17 g of "58517 Teal" (started with 204g; ended with 187g) = 30.91 yds
  • 17 g of "58521 Royal Blue" (started with 203g; ended with 186g) = 30.91 yds
  • 17 g of "58588 Deep Purple" (started with 195g; ended with 178g) = 30.91 yds
  • 12 g of "58542 Hot Pink" (started with 213g; ended with 201g) = 21.82 yds
Total Yardage: 290.92 yards

Hook size: 4.5mm/US 7

Gauge: 16 granny rnds measures

Notes & Photos:
April 8, 2022: Getting this page set up. Bought 8 of the 9 colors on Tuesday; there wasn't any hot pink in stock but I was able to find the proper color number online.

So, this is a granny square cardigan I've been thinking about for awhile now. The squares are various sizes and color combinations, quite a few rely on complimentary colors. I'm going classic riot of colors with this; won't lose me in a snowstorm 😂 The sleeves will be crocheted in the round, from the body out, in stripes of the granny clusters with squares around the "cuffs".

Originally I was going to call it "Molly-esque" after a popular character with an... eclectic style but thanks to a problematic author I'm not comfortable with that any longer. Even though this is a one-off for myself I want to be respectful of those who've been hurt by the horrible things said by that author. Since I've used the rainbow as my starting point, granny squares, and worsted weight yarn for a cozy cardi "Rainbow Granny Hug" seems like a good replacement name.

I have a couple other projects to finish before I actually start this but now I have the yarns recorded and my notes started at least.

June 9: Quidditch started this morning and the blocks on the bottom of the back of my cardi are done in diagonal half-and-half squares, which fit the prompt of colovaria nicely 😊 So this is getting its start! Royal blue and orange are first! I'm using the Half Square Triangle Granny technique that is linked in my pattern line.

later (11:46pm): And that's the first square done 😊 I think the method will become more fluid as I practice. Here it is:
A 4 round granny square in dark blue and orange. The square is blue in the bottom left half and orange in the upper right half, split on the diagonal.

I've also weighed all of the skeins I have so far. That way I can just start squares as I go and not have to worry about which colors are weighed and which aren't. 

later (3:49am): And now I've completed 3 of the 4 diagonal squares; I need to get a ball pink for that one. So here they are:
3 diagonally split 2 color granny squares: top left is dark blue and orange. Top right is dark purple and yellow. Bottom left is red and green. Each is arranged with the darker color on the bottom left side and the lighter color on the upper right side of the diagonal.

July 5: Hot Pink acquired today 😊 Can work on the bigger squares now that I have all of the colors. I'm guessing I'll need a second skein of black at some point, as that will be my joining color as well. Keeps everything uniform that way. 

July 14: SDW returns tomorrow and hopefully I can get a few squares done 😊 I still need to do the hot pink/light blue one to go with the above 3. And then it's the giant back square; 16 rnds of granny square, each a different color. Fun! 😊

July 15: The pink and lighter blue square is done 😊
A 4 round granny square that is split in half on the diagonal, upper left corner to lower right corner. The lower left half is hot pink, and the upper right half is bright blue.

later: And I've joined the squares together using the black yarn and slip stitch 😊
The four above mentioned squares joined together in a horizontal strip. They are arranged royal and orange, purple and yellow, red and dark mint, and hot pink and light blue. The back of a certain black and white fluffy cat slightly obscures the red and dark mint square.

Jakey felt compelled to help with the photo 😹 He's sooooo helpful 😹

August 9 & 10: This week at Camp Spirit Lake one of our activities is kite flying. Anything we craft that's smaller than a milk jug counts. I think the big back square for this cardi will be a perfect "kite". 😊 I have until Saturday night to get it done. Also need the exact current weights of each color so I can get the yardage as well.

Yardage: red - less than 1g + 13g = 13.5g
               orange - 1g + 13g = 14g
               yellow - 2g + 11 = 13g
               green - 3g + 11g = 14g
               lt blue - 4g + 9g = 13g
               royal - 6g + 7g = 13g
               purple - 6g + 7g = 13g
               pink - 8g 
               black - 13g
               total = 106g >>> 193.6 yds


June 12/23: I haven't been even remotely tempted to work on this. I still want a rainbow cardigan but this isn't it. I'm not going to frog what's done; I don't like having short bits of acrylic around with no purpose. I might choose to frog later on. For now, I'm just saying this is dusted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment