Saturday, December 10, 2022

Salted Waves



Pattern: Diane by Romi Hill (not on her site yet)

Started: September 6, 2022

Finished: December 10, 2022

Made for: Síle aka Me/ Superstition study Salt

Yarn: Knit It! Velvety (100% polyester; 382yds/349m = 100g)
  • 158g of Cream (dyelot: 27; starting wgt: 197g; end wgt: 39g) = 603.56 yds
Needle size: 4.5mm/US 7

Photos & Notes:
Sept 6: It's pretty bad when you're the one who creates the EC and you're probably the last person to start your project 😂

Because the yarn has a chenille texture I'm going up to a 4.5mm needle to knit this 😊

The beautiful Old Shale lace in this Romi pattern puts me in mind of ocean waves. And what is the ocean but a large "pool" of salt water? I think I'll tie this in with Huixtocihuatl, the Aztec goddess of salt and salt water. She was often depicted wearing garments with water and/or wave designs.


Photo caption (from Wikipedia): Depiction of Huixtocihuatl from Bernardino de Sahagun's "Primeros Memoriales", which was published in 1590 (fol. 264r). She holds a reed staff in her hand and wears garments with a water design.

Now, can I knock out enough of this pattern before the end of the 20th to count? We shall see! 

Sept 7: Took this photo earlier:

I was about 4 rows into wedge 2 at that point. I'm now 11 rows into wedge 3:


I really understand why this yarn is called Velvetty; it resembles and feels like crushed velvet. I'm picturing this little number paired with my burgundy lace dress for the Christmas show this year; and a certain mister can look at what he lost. Hmph! (Having said that, I'm grinning like a Chessy cat at the thought lol)

Sept 20: Yeah, this isn't going to be done in time for the Salt Superstition, even with the extra hour of knitting time at the hospital yesterday (June's test was inconclusive; going in for another next week sigh). Oh well. I'm still going to love wearing it!

November 25: 4.5 sections in now:

I want to finish this up so I can wear it with my new Christmas dress on the 10th to remind a certain band leader exactly what he lost by being nefarious. Hmph! And yes, I am exactly that petty lol

December 8: Trying to finish this for the show on the 10th, and use it as my Quidditch project for this match. I'm on the 8th of 9 wedges, so hopefully...

December 10: It took an all-nighter but finally at 8:37am NST my frothy bit of lace is done and ready to wear tonight 😊 Here's a "by the tree" shot; I'll have Sistwerp get one of me in my dress with it one later on:

Absolutely love how it came out. I think it could be made deeper by adding reps of 18sts (plus 2 markers per rep) to the cast-on, which would be awesome. I love the length but a touch more depth...

No comments:

Post a Comment