Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Charming the Dragon

Book: The Awakening by Nora Roberts; book 1 of the Dragon Heart Legacy

Pattern: Dragon Charmer by Luise O'Neill (Pattern Page on Payhip 🔗)

Started: book - on hold via Libby app 7/6/22; hold came in July 9th and started reading same day
project - August 1, 2022

Finished: book - July 20th
project - 

Made for: Síle aka Me

Yarn: Briggs & Little Heritage (100% wool; 215yds/m = 113g)
  • ??g "45 Peacock" (dyelot: 947; started with ~339g; ended with: ??g) = yds 
Needle size: 4.5mm/US 7

Notes & Photos:
June 23: The next Q&S has been announced! C provided us with a possible list of authors although we're encouraged to stay with the "Beach"/summer read theme. Think light, and frothy. Authors included on her list are Maeve Binchy, Nora Roberts (both who I've read books by), Sophie Kinsella; I'm now drawing a blank on others.

I might use this as an opportunity to read the book I got a couple months back. Or not! I'm really not sure yet. Here are the details:
We’ll take a month to read our chosen books, from July 1st to 31st. We’ll chat about their covers, maybe particularly moving passages or a clever turn of phrase.
Any discussion about your chosen book will earn toward a yet-to-be announced event, so don’t be shy this July!

Then from August 1st to the 20th, we’ll craft an item inspired by the book we’ve read. We might find our muse in a character, the landscape, or a character’s predicament. The field is wide open here! There are a number of genres represented; romance, women’s fiction, fantasy, time-travel and Gothic. We decided to stay away from horror, so if you’re a fan of Stephen King or his friends, hang in there, October is coming soon enough!

NOTE: AUDIOBOOKS ARE VERY WELCOME!

Also of note…If you have an author that you're dying to read and would rather read them instead of anyone on my list, GO FOR IT! Tell us who you're reading (or listening to) and why you adore their word-smithing.

July 4: I still haven't decided on my book. Quite honestly I'm trying to figure out my project since we only have 20 days to craft! lol I can work back from the craft to tie to a book. I just need to narrow down my project...

July 6: Checking Libby I see that Nora Roberts' most recent trilogy is called the Dragon Heart Legacy, and I have had Luise O'Neill's gorgeous Dragon Charmer in my queue for a while. In fact, the wool was a gift from K for Yuletide 2020! This is the perfect opportunity to dive into another of Ms. Roberts' fantastical realms and knit a piece I've wanted to for awhile . Seems like a win-win! I have the book on hold (roughly a two week wait), so until then I can read other things. Like perhaps the Cousins O'Dwyer trilogy? Love that one. But no dragons 😉

July 9: My hold came in this morning 😊 I'm already on chapter 6 lol. Breen needed the blah swept from her life so badly!! I adore Marco, her life-long bestie and roommate. Their found family at Sally's drag club, where Marco bartends and Breen helps out from time to time, to help stretch her teacher's pay, are amazing. I hope when Breen is drawn into the fantastical realm of Talamh that she's able to keep some connection to Marco and the others. Friends like them are worth more than gems and precious metals.

Breen has already dreamt of flying on dragons, a red and gold one in particular. I hope there'll be a blue one I can tie my shawl to 😉 Or perhaps it will be an homage to what my own dragon would look like. A peacock blue dragon *does* sound like one that would belong with me!

July 19: I found this little snippet the other day and I really like the wording
The dragon, riderless, glided over the dusky sky like a golden ship over the sea. Nothing, nothing she'd seen or would see in this fantastic place could be as magnificent, as glorious as that silent, gilded flight.


July 20: Finished the book! Oh my! What a cliffhanger!!!! I'm glad I put both books on hold on the same day. I believe book 3 comes out this fall. Like the O'Dwyers, I think I need to buy this set.

And yes, I'm still set on knitting my peacock blue Dragon Charmer to go with this book. In 20 days, or less, no less. I can hardly wait to cast on!!

July 26: I've a mind to wind the first hank into a ball and test needle sizes. The pattern calls for 4.5mm at a gauge of 18 sts & 24 rows = 4" in stockinette. Considering my yarn (B&L H) and the type of pattern it is (cables), 4.5mm seems right to me. Still I'd like the excuse to play with some wool in a project that's not all in my lap; unlike a certain mkal sample that shall remain nameless here. 

July 30: Finally getting around to winding the first hank into a ball. I can cast-on on Monday. Hank 1 weighs 119g.

August 1: Yes, it's 3:06am but I have the first 10 rows done already 😊 Lol This is why I wanted to wind at least one hank on Saturday 😂

August 2: Done Chart A! I'm loving this

August 8: Took a bit longer as humidity is back up and our air quality isn't great with smoke from forest fires. But Chart B is done and it looks really cool:

Onto Chart C!

August 13: Done 1 repeat + 6 rows of Chart C. I have a week to finish almost 4 repeats. Will I make it? I hope so!!


August 15: I love this dearly but there's no way I finish before the 20th. (Especially with decorating the hall on the 19th, and the wedding and reception on the 20th). So I must quickly find another project for my book, that I can get done in like 2 days, and then put this beauty on a bit of a back burner.

And considering some of the projects turned in for this Challenge, I'm not stressing over it being something small/simple.

August 30: Last day at "Camp" and time to weigh this and submit the yardage I've knit this month. I haven't done much of anything to be honest; this whole month has felt non-stop busy for some reason and I never got my feet under me

Anyway! Ive knit (119g - l8g) 101g === 192.2 yards so far 😊 

No comments:

Post a Comment