Monday, June 19, 2023

Fasten Off with a Twist

Pattern: Twist Again by Robynn Weldon (link to pattern page on Studio Miranda Designs' Payhip🔗)

Started: December 1, 2021

Finished: 

Made for: Síle aka Me/Fasten Off Yarn-a-Long 2021/Year 2 CoMC

Size made: 46 inch bust 

Yarn: Bernat Satin (100% acrylic; 200yds/183m = 100g)
  • 5 skeins/ 505g of "Grape" (started with 9 skeins/~900g) = 1,010 yds
Needle sizes: 4.0mm/US 6 & 3.75mm/US 5

Notes & Photos:
Nov 20: Setting this up for the FOYAL Makealong portion this year :) I bought this pattern during the 2020 (inaugural) sale, and though I've intended to cast-on several times this year, I still haven't. And I have the yarn! Maybe this'll be done in time to be my birthday sweater. We shall see!

I vaguely recall swatching for this in January or so. I think I wound up sticking to the recommended needle size. I think. Will swatch again to be sure though.While the yarn is listed most places as a 4 or worsted or Aran weight, I've always found it to behave more as a DK and I'm knitting it as such for this sweater.

Alrighty, that's my starting details for this one :) Now to wait for the MAL to start; start time is 9pm EST (10:30pm here in Newfoundland) on November 30th. I can hardly wait to jump into this!! I should try to finish at least 1 project between now and then...

I've declared this as my CoMC: Gnomes project as well. Declaration is found here: 🌺🌷🌹.

Dec 1 (12:36am): Starting back at my swatch because I can't find the notes I'd made before. Oh well! It's row gauge that's vital in this pattern so I need to get 26 rows to 4" (also 22sts to 4") on the larger needles. I'll start with the prescribed 4.0mm

My first ball of yarn weighs 101g so 202 yds of yarn.

Here we go!

later (6:08pm): First swatch results - With size 4.0mm needles I got 22sts & 26 rows to 4 inches :) Woot! Now I can cast-on :)

Dec 2 (5:53pm): Should've updated earlier. I cast-on (348sts, thank you very much!) and knit 5 rnds before turning in last night :) It doesn't look like much yet but it's started!
A long circular knitting needle with several rounds of knitting in a smooth purple yarn done. There are several stitch markers in place around the needle, 4 silver, 1 green "yarn ball" and a darker green one.

Dec 7: A few more rnds done :) I'm nearly done with rnd 13. The cables are sort of starting to be visible.

Dec 13: A few more rnds done. My focus is on getting Sil's blankie done in time right now. I really love this and the yarn is so soft. This will be my new cuddly sweater when it's done. Funny that, another purple cuddly sweater for me. Here's the front (note: more cables appearing):

And here's a look at one side. I love how the ribbing "tilts": 

Dec 25: Finally some quiet time to relax and knit :) And I need to join in ball 2 of my yarn :) That's 101g (202yds) done. And a new progress pic (apologies for the bad light):
There are more cable crossings in the center panel now.

Ball 2 weighs 102g so 204 yds. Here I go...

Dec 27: It's going so well! Look at all the cables! I'm a very happy knitter :)

Jan 25: A few rounds more. Rough weekend; Jakey broke me so didn't get much done besides a lot of naps lol But it's looking good:
Mostly a view of the the front cable panel. It's definitely longer than the last photo.

April 7: I am so bad about letting this languish. Really gotta get back into the groove with it. It's too pretty to be ignored!!

June 7: What's that saying about the best laid plans of mice and men? Apparently it applies to knitters! 😂 Picked this up as solace for Miss Silver's misdeed with my blanket project this weekend. It's such a lovely knit, and an easy to follow pattern too 😊  I've added a few rnds anyway. Now to keep it in rotation as I try to get PMP done ahead of its release! Photo update of this beauty:

(Had to join in ball 3 of yarn halfway through rnd 57; Ball 3 weighs 100g so 200yds)

June 13: Was a little more focused on work knitting this week but put a few rnds into this beauty :)

August 2: A few rnds done while I was at the hospital for an appt on Thursday.

The current weight of the yarn ball is 59g; this way I can calculate my yardage over the month.

October 4: Oh my. I haven't worked on this again and FOYAL 2022 planning is starting 🤦🏼‍♀️. Like we're actively talking behind the scenes about plans. I have a video chat scheduled with M tomorrow morning! This baby needs to get done, fast! Once my WHC project is off the needles, this is priority, but let me put in a few rnds in to check-in with...

later (10:28pm NDT): I have progress to report! This is my constant companion (other than getting the baby sweater done for WHC) until it's done, hopefully before November 25!

October 18: Little by little...

October 20: Joining in ball 4; it weighs 102g (204yds). This is going wonderfully 😊

November 1: Lots of progress 😊 17 rnds to separating for the armholes:

November 8 (5:26am): Yay! I've just split the front and back 😊 I can continue in rows on the back later on today. Here's the length increased since last week:

And here's the sweater body laid out; I have it on two circulars now so it lies much straighter:

This is the front, whose stitches are on a spare needle (of a different size). The back stitches are on the working needle. I just might get this done before FOYA starts on the 25th! 😊

November 9: Getting ready to go up for another test at the hospital and am taking along the next ball of yarn since ball 4 is getting low. I think maybe 3-4 rows more with what's left. Ball 5 weighs 100g; 200yds

November 14: At the hospital awaiting the results of the last two tests, and (of course) I'm knitting while waiting for the dr to come in:

November 15: Lots of progress this week! I'm very close to finishing the back:

The mummer marks where I last reported my progress. A more closely focused photo:

November 17: Finished the back 😊 This is coming along super well. Now to get back to the front! Oh, photo of the back: 

November 22: Almost done the right front yoke and ball 5 is done. Ball 6 weighs 104g; so 208yds. I don't think I'm going to have this done by Friday. Pressing on!

later (8:58pm NST): Finished the front 😊 Love this neckline:

November 29: Started and frogged the first sleeve this week. It seemed too tight. Need to start again tonight

later (2:29am NST): I've made progress on the sleeve, gotten sucked into a new series on Netflix (Wednesday), and missed Ilvermorny check-ins this week. Oops. I do have a photo though:

December 13: A bit more done:

December 27: A full repeat done. I think. And I seem to have a miscrossed cable too. Not sure if I should rip back the recent crossing and call it the second sleeve or just start again. Leaning towards just going back to the most recent crossing. Here's the pic: 

January 8/23: I have frogged the bit of sleeve I had knit. I had something extremely messed up going on. Best to frog in this case! I'll cast on again tomorrow; my bed is calling

January 10/23: Casting on didn't happen yesterday, but it did today 😊 4 rnds in and looking good:

January 17/23: I was a bit focused on my Aria squares this weekend so there's not a lot of progress on my sleeve but there is some! Hoping for a lot more by next week:

June 6/23 (6:48pm NDT): This cold snap (high of 9°; feels like it could snow tonight!) aka Juneuary has me wanting to get this done so I can wear it. Soooo cold these last couple days!

later (9:51pm NDT): A bit of progress between cooking supper, eating and knitting this evening:

June 19/23 (4:22pm NDT): Sleeve 1 is really coming along now :) I seem to have found the rhythm of it, which I was missing on my earlier attempts. Here's where I've gotten to this week:

At this rate I just might get this done sooner rather than later! 




No comments:

Post a Comment