Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Pumpkin Masquerading as a Pineapple?

Pattern: Honeycomb Bauble by Frankie Brown (sorry; no OffRav link for this)

Started: October 11, 2021

Finished: not after October 31st

Made for: Ilvermorny's Pumpkin Patch

Yarn(s): Red Heart Super Saver Stripes (100% acrylic; 236yds/215m = 141g)
  • 37g of "4962 Fruity Stripes" (started with 148g; ended with 111g) = 61.9yds (body)

Needle size: 4.5mm/US 7

Notes & Photos:
Sept 26: Absolutely no decisions made for this yet but I want to create something for our Pumpkin Patch. I think Jack is a very suitable name no matter what I come up with though.

Oct 5: Had a devil of a time finding straight up orange yarn, but this yarn is kind of fun, and I think will work well with the pattern. About the pattern: no this isn't a standard pumpkin pattern. But it reminds me of the tissue paper decorations that teachers used in the 80s. Do you remember them? They laid flat and then you opened them up and they were like honeycombs. There were always brown turkey bellies for Thanksgiving, and pumpkins for Hallowe'en, and all different sizes of baubles for Christmas... You would totally know them if you saw them. This pattern is for a bauble but I'm going to add an I-cord stem to the center top and call it a pumpkin; I may have to shape the pieces a bit to look more pumpkiny. So that's my plan!

Oct 8: Here are some photos of the decorations I'm reminded of with this pattern:

A yellow chick, a pink rabbit and a white sheep decorations. The heads and legs of all of them are made from printed cardboard and the bodies are made of tissue paper in fanned out honeycombs in the appropriate color to go with the character.

A turkey decoration made from tissue paper that is fanned out in a honeycomb style for the body/belly and a printed piece of thin cardboard with the head, neck and legs on it. The tissue paper section is attached to the thin cardboard to add dimension to the decoration.

Oct 11: Ready to start!
A skein of yarn with a black paper band around it, and a pair of bamboo straight knitting needles. The yarn is shades of yellow, orange, red and pink. The band says "Red Heart Super Saver Stripes".

later (10:35pm): First section done!
An elongated 6 sided shape knit in garter stitch. The color changes from plum to a orange-pink shade

later (5:27am): After a marathon session I have knit all 6 sections of the "pumpkin". I'll be able to stitch them together and form the main (honeycomb) body :) I'm glad this is for Ilvermorny and I can call it a magic pumpkin because these colors are like no pumpkin I've ever seen in nature! lol!
6 elongated six-sided garter stitch shapes. They run through the colors plum & orange-pink (first piece), orange-pink & pink (second piece), pink, orange & orange-yellow (third), orange-yellow (fourth), orange-yellow & light yellow (fifth), light yellow & orange-yellow (sixth).

Oct 12: Well, I joined it together and frankly it looks more like a pineapple than a pumpkin. I wish I were joking:
The finished "bauble" in a rather squashed state. It's not open the way the tissue paper ones in earlier photos are.

I think I need to rethink my pumpkin plans. Marking this as done so I can focus more clearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment