Sunday, September 12, 2021

Fabric Samples from Mme Malkin's

All 3 swatches grouped together. Sample 1 has the purple background side showing.


Patterns: from my own head

Started: August 30, 2021

Finished: September 12, 2021

Made for: Thunderbird House Challenge 2021/swatches for samples

Fabric Sample 1 -
Yarns: Bernat Satin (100% acrylic; 200yds/182m = 100g) 
    • A = 16g of "4007 Silk" (starting weight 110g; finished weight 94g) = 32 yds
    • B = 15g of "4306 Plum Mist Heather" (starting weight 160g; finished weight 145g) = 30 yds
    • C = 6g of "4232 Sage" (starting weight 83g; finished weight 77g) = 12yds
  • total yds = 72yds
Needle size: 3.25mm/US 3

Hook size: (for cast on) 3.0mm
 
Fabric Sample 2 -
Yarns: Bernat Premium (100% acrylic; 360yds/329m = 198g) 
    • = 5g of "58517 Teal" (starting weight 198g; finished weight 193g) = 9.09yds
    • B = 3g of "58001 Soft Gray Heather" (starting weight 198g; finished weight 195g) = 5.45yds
  • total yds = 14.54yds
Needle size: 3.5mm/US 4
 
Hook size: (for cast on) 3.25mm
 
also: 2 bulb shaped stitch markers (for cable needles)
 
(panel is 4.5 inches wide w/ this yarn and needles)
 
Fabric Sample 3 -
Yarn(s): Red Heart Comfort (100% acrylic; 867yds/793m = 454g)

    • 31g of "3149 Mint" (starting weight 454g; finished weight 423g) = 59.2yds 

 
Needle size(s): 5.0mm/US 8
 
also: cable needle 

Notes & photos: 
August 21: The Tbirds have announced their Challenge (Aug 30-Sept 26): a field trip to Diagon Alley. We have to relate our project to one of the shops. I'm tempted to use one of my own designs; I have a cowl pattern that should be a quick enough make. But I'm hesitant to do that and possibly derail my progress on the Four Hand Reel. 

Off to search my "To Make" list!

August 24: Still thinking on this. Maybe the test piece for T? I don't have the buttons (need 10) for the cowl. I just need to figure out how to link a test piece to one of the Shops. I would be using worsted instead of fingering weight too but it would give me good experience with 3 color double-knitting. 

I have a couple other projects that I might be able to get done in the allotted time. Dragon Charmer, I have the wool for the medium size...

August 28: I'll be visiting Madam Malkins's Robes for All Occasion. I'm interested in a custom cloak and I'll bring home some fabric samples to help in deciding which one to go forward with ;) I love when I can make work knitting fit my fun knitting

August 30: We can start today! First thing I need to do is select 3 colors of yarn for my first fabric sample. Fabric Sample 1 will be the test swatch for T :) 3 color double-knitting; if that doesn't scream magickal fabric, I really don't know what will! To the stash!!

later: Ok, needle and hook sizes entered. Time to get started!

later: Slow and steady. I feel like I'm starting to get the hang of having an extra strand in play. Here's a collage of my progress:
Collage of 2 photos: the upper one shows a piece of knitting in progress with a purple background and stitches here and there of sage and white. The lower photo is of the other side of the same piece of knitting with white as the background and purple and sage stitches here and there. The two sides are identical other than the color placements.
Note that the two sides are identical other than the colors placements. The side with the white background is my "right side" or side A

So far, so good! :D

later (technically Aug 31): 14 rows done :) It looks really cool even if the purple looks brown in this bad light. Here's where it's at:
Collage of two in progress knitting swatches. Top: green and purple stylized flowers on a white background. Bottom: white and green stylized flowers on a purple background.

I'd love to stay up and do more but I'm already pushing it being up this late (it's 4:13am; oops!)

September 1: Done through row 20 :) Not as much as I would've liked to do but better than none. 21 rows to go! And here's what 20 rows looks like:
Collage of two photos - Top: An in progress sample of double-knitting on a white background with green and purple stylized flowers alternating. There are 5 flowers in each row and 2 and a half rows of the flower motifs. Bottom: The same as the top photo, but with a purple background and green and white flower motifs.

My only complaint is the colors aren't showing correctly in my photos. And with the remnants of Tropical Storm (was Hurricane) Ida set to brush over us Thursday through Saturday, indoor lighting is going to be the best I can do. Maybe once I complete all of the samples I can get an outdoor pic of them together. We shall see!

September 4: All finished Fabric Sample 1 :) I really like how it turned out, which tells me I'm going to be really pleased with the pattern being used as my "background" for T. It's nice to know that going in... well, whenever I can get enough yarn together to actually knit the whole sample project anyway. Here's the finished swatch:
Collage of 2 photos, both featuring knitted samples of stylized flower motifs in two colors arranged in rows and columns of 5 motifs alternating like a checkerboard. The top photo has a white background with sage green and purple flowers. The bottom photo has a purple background with white and sage green flowers. The two photos are of each side of a piece of double-knitting.

Fabric Sample 2 will be the double-knit cable panel from HatH. I might even do that in the colors I've selected for the smallest sample. I said might; a lot can change in the time it takes me to recharge myself. Off to bed in this horrendous humidity; we're getting the tailend of Storm Ida, who's been a real bitch to everyone who meets her.

September 5: I have started the second Fabric Sample. Took me a bit of doing to remember how I had worked a double-knit cable held to the back. It's a bit fiddly, but I think the results are worth it. And because you're making the crossover on each side, it's not massively bulky like trying to twist both sides of the fabric together is. Believe me, I've tried it lol. Here's the first 4 rows of this one:
Collage of 2 photos, each showing a side of the same in progress double-knit swatch. Both show teal purl stitches bordering a gray cable panel, and gray purl stitches bordering a teal cable panel.

Both sides of this one are going to come out the same, so I won't do many collages for this sample.

later (technically Sept 6): I've completed 18 rows which is one full repeat plus 2 rows :) I love it. And I've discovered that the bulb shaped stitch markers that have the pin opening to them make excellent cable needles when you're needing 2 in a tight space. I can manipulate the held stitches back and forth pretty easily and the stitches don't get skewed as they sometimes can with regular cable needles. This is totally going in the pattern notes section. Here's how the swatch is shaping up:
In progress, knitted swatch featuring 6 panels: (left to right) gray reverse stockinette, teal XO cable, gray reverse stockinette, teal reverse stockinette, gray XO cable, teal reverse stockinette. There are enough rows knit straight at the top to tell another cabling row is next.

September 10: Finished Sample 2 :) I didn't want to get too fussy with it so it's smaller than Sample 1. Here's the finished Sample:
A finished rectangle of knitting consisting of panels of stitches and colors as follows, left to right: gray reverse stockinette stitches, teal XOX cable, gray reverse stockinette stitches, teal reverse stockinette stitches, gray XOX cable, teal reverse stockinette stitches.

Will be knitting to calm my nerves tonight; I'm within the Tropical Storm Warning area for Hurricane Larry, which is set to hit the island roughly 9pm tonight. Could have winds up to 115km/h here! And we're not in the actual Hurricane Warning area!! Town and pretty well the entire Avalon Peninsula can expect up to 130km/h gusts. I think it's gusts. I hope it's gusts. If that's sustained winds the island's going to become unmoored!


September 11: Fabric Sample 3 is my swatch for CC, so includes the wedge panels and the two main cable panels are in it :) This is one that's been put aside for quite awhile and I'm suddenly feeling like it needs to come to light. Funny how your head comes back to things.

We had barely anything from Hurricane Larry here, but other places got walloped but good. Lots of damage and clean up to be done. 

September 12: And that's that :)
A knitted swatch in a arc shape. There are braid cables at each edge, with triangular sections of Moss stitch between them and a wide cable panel in the center. The order is braid, Moss stitch triangle, wide cable panel, Moss stitch triangle, braid. The yarn is dark mint shade.

Now to get the yardage...

And that's that :) Just need to get two photos of all three Samples together; I need one with each side of the first one.

I'm quite happy to have these swatches finished. More work progress :)
All three swatches grouped together. Sample one is positioned with the white background showing.



No comments:

Post a Comment