Sunday, August 15, 2021

Round Dance

The finished hat laid flat. The contrast between the knitted garter stitch band and the Tunisian crochet body makes for an interesting distribution of the colors and textures.


Pattern: Ishrat by Aoibhe Ní (link to pattern page on YarnTowers.com🔗)

Started: August 14, 2021

Finished: August 15, 2021

Made for: Síle aka Me/ Square Dance Weekend @ Ilvermorny 

Yarn: remnant without ballband from Rubbermaid container behind Mum's couch. Seems to be 100% acrylic, roughly sport weight. Could be Bernat?
  • "Pastels" starting with 114g, no clue on yardage; used 66g, using an avg of 340yds = 100g for sport weight, I used 224.4 yds
Needle size: 4.5mm/ US 7

Hook size: 5.5mm

Notes & photos:
August 14: Needed a quick project for August's Square Dance Weekend and I've wanted to try this hat pattern for a bit so it seemed like a good time. Also I don't have all the colors for my granny square cardi idea yet, so that has to wait.

Ok! So Ishrat starts with a garter st band. Time to cast on!

later: Ok the band is done and I've worked 5 extra garter ridges, meaning I'll have one extra row in each segment of the crown. Here's what my band looks like; Jakey is acting as my quality supervisor so pay him no mind. Mr. Nosey Nose tonight lol And now I switch to single crochet for one row along the side of the band before starting the Tunisian crochet of the crown. Alright so here's the band and Mr Nosey:
A long garter stitch band of knitting in a variegated pastel yarn being sniffed by a fluffy black and white cat. The photo was taking on the arm of a navy blue couch.

later: I've finished the first crown section already!

I have to say, Aoibhe's videos are brilliant to understanding how and what's going on with her patterns. I don't normally get on well with video instructions; written is my go to for most things. But she does an absolute bang up job with her videos :) Part of that could be the comfort I take in watching her hands. She crochets like I do (hook and yarn in the right hand)! Which believe you me has earned me a ton of criticism, to the point I actually stopped crocheting for a good space of time; like 5 or 6 years. Yes, seriously. I digress!

So here's what one of the 5 crown sections looks like. And after I get some sleep we'll see if I can't knock out a few more today :)
Being worked in pastel variegated yarn, there is a strip of knitted garter stitch with a slightly tapered point of Tunisian crochet attached to the far right side of it.

August 15: Crocheting is finished :) Just the seam to do up. Which I'll do as soon as I move to a quieter spot so I can actually hear the video. I love the method shown; I've watched it a couple times already. But it's different to have the work in your hands as you watch and follow along. So here's the complete but not seamed hat (apologies for the flash): 
A pastel variegated piece of Tunisian crochet with a knitted garter stitch edge to the right. It doesn't look like a hat at the moment.

40 or so minutes later: All done! :) And it fits too
Selfie from the side showing the slooch of the hat's top.

A group of preteen girls in Irish dance solo dresses performing a kay-lee dance. Used here as a placeholder.




No comments:

Post a Comment