Thursday, September 16, 2021

Freedom of the Skies & Seas

The finished shawl in gradients of teal through purple and lavenders through blues. It is crescent shaped and the bottom edge is ruffled.


Pattern: Finola by Aoibhe Ní Pattern Page on YarnTowers.com 🔗

Started: March 28, 2021

Finished: September 17, 2021

Made for: Síle aka Me / Year 2 Dragon Studies

Yarns: Lion Brand Mandala (100% acrylic; 590yds = 150g)

  • .54 skein/ 81g of "Troll" = 369 yds
Red Heart Roll With It Sparkle (97% acrylic, 3% other fibers; 561yds = 150g)
  • 1 skein/ 150g of "7001 Amethyst" = 561 yds
  • .06 skein/9g of "9801 Krystal" (started with 156g) = 33.66 yds
Total yardage: 963.66 yds 

Hook size: 5.0mm/ US 8

Notes & photos: I feel the need to start something new and different that I don't have to design myself. I'm declaring this for my Year 2 Dragon Studies class at Ilvermorny as well. 

Declaration 

So, my plan is to start with my remaining 81g of "Troll" and complete an exact number of panels with it and then use the "new" colorway for more panels plus the upper border. I'm hopeful the total amount of yarn allows for more panels than written in the pattern.

An inspiring photo of New Zealand's scenery
A sea inlet with mountains rising up around it.

Lupins, mountains, and ocean; could almost be western Newfoundland but it's New Zealand
A field of lupins with ocean and mountains in the background. Photo from/of New Zealand

later: Charts A completed & first 10 columns of chart B
A skinny wedge shaped piece of Tunisian crochet, with a large eyelet centred a few columns down from the hook.

later: Charts A & B done 😊
Long skinny V of Tunisian crochet with 3 large eyelets regularly spaced towards the wider end.

later: First panel finished and back to the point where panel two starts 😊 I really like how the yarn shaded through the first panel.
A panel of Tunisian crochet, in different shades of blue, starting as a skinny V shape with 3 large eyelets, a lacy section on top of the V, and ending in a fan shape

4/06: about half done the second panel
A second panel, in the darker blue, is partially finished and being added next to the first panel. The panels are joined as they're created so no sewing needs to be done when they're finished.


April 7: completed the second panel :) I can really see now how the panels both line up and stagger to leave the fan shaped edge. I'm surprised how much of the darker blue is in this ball. Not complaining, just surprised! Looks like there's a bit more and then it will be navy blue for a while before going to a dark purple and finally to the brighter purple that is on the outside of the skein. Need to get up to Walmart for another ball soon, although I think this ball is good for at least another 2 or even 3 more panels. We shall see if I'm right! Photo added of the two completed panels :)
Two wedge shaped panels of Tunisian crochet in several shades of blue. The two panels are staggered with each one ending with a fan shape on the thicker/left hand edge.
 
4/08: 3 panels done and chart A finished on the 4th one :)
A third wedge shaped panel has been added to the first two, and a fourth has been started.

4/13: Another panel completed :) (Also Jadeybop photobomb)
Another wedge shaped panel added to the existing ones, this one is predominantly a very dark purple.

4/16: Couldn't find any Mandala (not even a shelf tag!) so I found another yarn in a similar color family that I hope works well. It's called Red Heart Roll With It Sparkle; I admit the sparkle drew me in lol I like that it's another gradient yarn.
A yarn cake photographed from the top showing rings of several purple shades, gray, and two shades of blue. The entire yarn has a strand of metallic silver run through it.

4/20: Progress! I just love how this is coming out. And how yummy is the most recent shade of purple? This project is just so nice to pick up and work on 😊
Roughly 6 and a half panels completed now.

later: Well, talk about yarn chicken. I got 8.5 columns of Chart C done with the remainder of the Mandala. Time for a quick photo, and then dash upstairs for the new sparkly yarn!
Close up of the lace section of a panel of Tunisian crochet with 13 loops on the hook and about 1 inch of a yarn tail sticking up.

4/27: Oops, I meant to add photos of the sparkly yarn added in! Here we go then, two photos to update things:

First up the completion of Chart C & D using the new yarn
Close up: The fan section made with lilac yarn with a strand of sparkling material shot through it.

And the 8th panel is done (also with the new yarn)
The entire shawl is shown including the eighth panel which is completely done in the new yarn with the sparkly strand in it.

May 4: Time for a progress pic! Roughly halfway through panel 9; tonight has done my head in on a personal level. Hard to craft and cry at the same time.
Close up of a partially crocheted panel next to two finished ones.

May 18: Got sidetracked with my PHC project but I did a bit on this on the weekend.
The whole shawl in progress laid out. We see 11 panels completed now, the most recent ones, furthest to the left side, are very sparkly.

Close up of the most recent panels showing the fan-shapes at the top of the panels and focusing on the lace sections of the four panels and how they offset to one another.

May 25: I almost have another panel done! I'll bring this to my vaccine appointment and get that one finished so I can post a proper update photo at Ilvermorny 

later: Yeah, so guess who forgot her project bag on the couch when she went to her vaccine appointment? This panel is only partially done but it's progress!
A focused in photo of the fan ends of 4 panels of Tunisian crochet, the one to the furthest right being incomplete with the hook still in the work.

June 1: New month! And I finished the panel I started last week after (finally) getting the llama finished. Not major progress but it's progress!
12 panels completed in the shawl.

June 15: Where is this month going? It doesn't help I've been laid up with my back again for ... today makes 7 days straight. I've started a pair of slippers for Quidditch and gotten chart A and a start on chart B on panel 13 of this pretty. And here's how that's looking:
Another panel started to the right of several completed ones. The in progress panel is two rows passed an eyelet.

June 29: What a gorgeous day to sit out and get a few well-lit photos while crafting and adding a little natural vitamin D :) I finished panel 13 and started panel 14 before I turned to my work project. Once that's off the needles I can focus on getting a few others done. Here are some photos from this afternoon under clear sunny skies and a moderate 17°C:
Close up of the fan edged side of the last few panels.

The entire shawl spread out on the back deck in the sunshine.

Different angle of the entire shawl spread out in the sunshine. The colour variations in the two yarns really show up nicely in this and the previous photo..

July 6: Another panel finished this week and onto the gray section in the yarn :) It's looking really good:
Close up of the fan edges of the most recent panels.

View of the entire shawl at this point.

July 20: Roughly half a panel this week :)
Close up showing an in progress panel to the right of three completed ones.

August 2: Finished the 18th panel and started the neckband today :) Instead of 11 linked upple trebles as stated in the pattern, I'm using 9. Keep in mind my 18 panels are also a modification to the pattern. It was written as 14. I took a quick photo of what I have done of the neckband. I will have to get a photo of the whole shawl tomorrow when the light is better. Here's the start of the neckband:
A rectangle of Tunisian crochet in a light blue yarn along the edge of a thin triangle of teal Tunisian crochet.

August 3: Didn't get an outdoor photo today and I took back the neckband I had started and reduced it to 6 linked upple trebles instead. I'm actually very low on yarn for the neckband due to the extra sts needed to border the entire piece with the extra panels. So fingers crossed it comes out ok. I really like how the whole piece looks. Here's an entire shawl view:
All 18 panels and the start of the neckband is shown on the far right side working towards the left side.

Sept 14: Haven't worked on this for a bit, but I pulled it out the other night and worked a bit more on the neckband. I'm getting awfully close to the end of this ball of yarn so I may have to get another on Thursday. I really like how the blue looks along the lavender sections. Most recent pic:
The shawl is arranged in a a sort of spiral with the fanned edge coming across the top of the frame and down and around the right side. The neckband is about halfway along the the straight edge. The light really captured the sparkle in the yarn in this photo, giving the shawl a really fun look.

Sept 16: Finished with ball 2. I didn't find the same colorway but I found one with a lot of blues in the same yarn. I won't need much to finish. 
In progress, the neckband and hook with only a short tail of yarn left.

later (1:13am NDT, Sept 17): And finished :) It turned out so nice!! Finished photo added to the top of this page :) And my submission post for Dragon Studies is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment