Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Protect Us Bag

The front of the bag with the intertwined trees motif on it.
Pattern:  Twining Trees (Block 9 of the Oddball Sampler Afghan by Sarah Bradberry (Link to block's page on Knitting-and.com🔗); used to make a small project bag

Started: March 17, 2022

Finished: March 22, 2022

Made for: Horned Serpent House Challenge 2022 (Go, Wampus!)

Yarn: Bernat Premium (100% acrylic; 360yds/329m = 198g)
  • 70g of "58573 Burlap" (starting weight: 199g; ending weight: 129g) = 127.27 yds

Needle size: 4.0mm/US 6

Notes & Photos:
March 8: Time again to start planning for the HSHC! It starts tomorrow and this year's trip is to the Amazon Rainforest! Exciting!

I've been looking over patterns and trying to come up with something for this. I've (semi) settled on this Twining Trees block. What's a rainforest without trees afterall? Sadly because of deforestation we may soon have an answer to that. This pair of leafless trees stretching their branches to the sky is like a silent plea to protect them, the rainforest and other fragile ecosystems and the many species of plants and animals that dwell in them.

March 17: Got yarn yesterday so casting on today!

March 18: So I was looking at this last night as I was knitting after the hockey game and it occurred to me that I really don't need/want another "square" floating around. Seriously, I'm always swatching for one idea or another. What can I do with it??!! And then I looked at this massive skein of yarn and thought "what if I knit a piece to back it and call it a project bag?" And so that is my plan. Once the tree block is done (am done 44/65 rows), I'll knit a garter st back (maybe on the bias?) and sew the bottoms and sides together, giving me a small project bag for whatever small project I might have around. Or maybe I can put all of my swatches in it and keep them out of everywhere else! Lol You have no idea the number of odd bits of knitting I have around here. Oh and SDW has officially started so I better crank out a couple of Aria squares before I forget...

March 19: Stayed up to finish the tree block. It turned out really good, I think. Just need to quickly knit up a back piece and that'll be it for the HSHC of 2022! Here's the front piece:
Finished block: A pair of trees with their meeting branches interwoven together. The trees are in stockinette on a garter stitch bottom third of the block, while the upper background is in reverse stockinette.

March 20: And that's the back done! I'll seam it later; 4:10am is no time to start sewing lol
A rectangle of bias knit garter stitch in tan yarn.

March 22: And all seamed up :) My bag is finished and can add to the Wampus total. And a week to go in the Challenge :) The back is here:
Back of the bag. The edges appear turned under where it's joined to the front.







No comments:

Post a Comment