Wednesday, December 22, 2021

Silver's Sparkly Blankie

A pastel rainbow striped baby blanket with silver sparkles throughout. It has 4 swirls, 1 running from the center to each corner.


Pattern: Swirl Dishcloth or Afghan Square by Anne Brenner (I can't find this anywhere off-Rav; was in my library of patterns)

Started: November 13, 2021

Finished: December 22, 2021

Made for: Silver Belle, my adorable fur-niece

Yarn: Red Heart Roll With It Sparkle (97% acrylic, 3% other fibers; 561yds/513m = 150g)
  • 159g of "Magic" (started with 159g; ended with 0g) = 594.7 yds
Easy Knit Tricot Facile Délice LUV's Delight (100% acrylic; 157yds/144m = 120g)
  • 31g of "White" (started with 120g; ended with 89g) = 40.6 yds
Total yardage: 635.3 yds

Needle size: 4.5mm/US 7 dpns & circular

Notes & Photos:
Oct 5: K bought the yarn for Silver's blankie today. I'll be using the same sort of recipe as I did with Jakey's except the stripes will come as I knit with this variegated rather than a bunch of separate colors/yarns. I'm thinking of starting differently too. Rather than a dishcloth center, maybe a bias square or mitered square in garter st. Very organic knitting, just going with what feels right.

I love the yarn. A pastel rainbow with a silver shot of sparkle through it is perfect for a 5 year old girl, even if she's a furry one!

Oct 19: I declared this as my Year 2 NAMS - B project today.  Seemed appropriate given the assignment Visions & Dreams. Declaration is here: 🌈😴

I also showed K a couple different patterns and she liked this one, so not only will it be different colors than Jakey's it'll be a different pattern too. I really like the spiral of this one. I hope it retains the shape enlarging it as I will be doing.

Nov 13: Really need to get cracking on this! I'm glad it's an intuitive pattern and that I'm using yarn that I can just keep going with. Let's do this! This is the yarn at starting:
A yarn cake showing a pastel rainbow of yarn. From the center out the color order is: green, light blue, lavender, pink, light orange, and yellow.

later (7:58pm): Going well so far :) I really like how the swirl is looking. I've started from the center of the cake with the green, which is a light moss shade.
In progress, a square of knitting arranged on 4 double pointed needles. The focal point is the swirl that appears to spin out from the center to the 4 corner points. Also of note is the sparkle in the yarn.

I like it :) I hope Sistwerp and Silver like it too.

later (4:11am): This is going so fast! I'm already well into the blue section of the cake :)
The blanket is now on a circular needle and this phot shows the progression of the yarn's colors from mossy green to light blue, and the transition section between them. There's a silver dangling heart shaped stitch marker on the circular needle, visible near the top of the photo

Nov 22: Took this with me for something to do while waiting for my EKG and bloodwork appts at the hospital this morning. I'm into the lavender now! :) And this pic in natural light is sooooo much better than the one I got last week.
The center of the blanket is roughly centered right at the bottom of the frame, and the progression of colors now has a wider band of blue, and a thin band of lavender. The project remains in progress in a circular needle.

Nov 25: Morning after minor surgery and I'm understanding why they said don't plan to do much today. And I didn't even get full strength anaesthetic! Anyway I was able to knit right up until the surgical nurse took me down to the OR, which let me tell you was awesome for keeping any nerves in check, so I got a fair amount done :) Keep in mind every rnd is getting a bit longer. Here's my progress from yesterday:

I put the orange marker in before I left to go to the hospital and haven't knit on it since the surgical nurse took me to the OR. Roughly an inch from the top of the pin to the rnd on the needle :)

Nov 30: It's growing fairly quickly :) I'm well into the pink now:
The in-progress blanket now with a thinner pink stripe above the finished lavender one.

Dec 7: The slightest hint of orange has come into the blankie the last rnd or so

Dec 13: Have I mentioned this is the absolute perfect tv/movie watching project :) I've gotten quite a lot done this week thanks to a couple Bones watching marathons with K. Nearly through the orange now:
The hint of orange last week can now be seen as a transition shade between pink and pale orange, with more "true" pale orange above it now.

Dec 14: I could cry. I went to move the sts a bit to count how many are on a side (I want to do a seed st border) and my needle separated! Thankfully my box of needles is always close on my end table and I grabbed a narrow one to quickly collect the sts on the needle end and that had dropped between the broken cable and needle end. But! Gah! So close to the end!! Seriously, like 5-6 rnds. Here's some of the orphaned sts and the broken end of the cable:

The heart marker is the start of the rnd so 22 sts into it where the cable and needle end broke apart. *sigh*

Dec 18: Got the new needle on Thursday :) I've played a bit of yarn chicken tonight. And lost. Let me show you:
Close up: Green stitches on part of a knitting needle, with about a centimetre of a yarn tail. There us a white marker in place in a stitch about six stitches away from where the tail is.

That white marker is in the third corner stitch. So close! I've truly used the entirety of the ball of yarn Sistwerp bought! My plan is to join in some similar weight white yarn I have to finish the round and then cast off. And that will be the end of Miss Silver Belle's birthday/Yuletide blankie :)

Dec 22: And done! Miss Silver's blankie is finished with 3 minutes to spare before her 5th birthday :) So pleased with it, although it does want to curl up and bunch a bit. Sil won't care lol 
Submission for NAMS is here


No comments:

Post a Comment